Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Privacy...

Long before Elizabeth was born, Ben and I had several discussions on displaying photos of Elizabeth online.  We both go back and forth on what is an appropriate amount to share, while having most of our family and friends living in other states and asking for updates.  It's a problem our parents did not have- the technology and resources to provide constant updates, while protecting the privacy of our family and our child.  

With that being said (or typed), most of the blogs I read are about the children of the person's blog I am reading.  I thoroughly enjoy learning what other mothers are going through, experiences they are having with their children, and responsibilities/joys/problems/and fun that come from being a parent.  However, what is good for one family is not necessarily what is good for our family (or any other family). 

Technology is a tricky slope and one I am treading lightly when it comes to publishing information about Elizabeth.  She does not have a voice to stand up for herself and it is my responsibility to make the best decisions possible on her behalf.

Now... this doesn't mean that I will never post pictures or information about her on my blog... because I do have the most fabulous daughter ever!  But I am more likely to send out personal e-mails with photos or place them on Facebook where I can control who sees them. 

I don't want to privatize my blog because I know I have more readers than the 3 people who "follow" me publicly and my blog was created to be open and shared with whomever wants to read it.  I just want to have a little more "control" over who sees information about Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment