Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Did my parents set me up to fail?

Did my parents set me up to fail?  I hope not.

But...

As I continue my journey into adulthood, I continue to question/reflect/and dissect my childhood and adolescence and wonder... was it all a set-up for failure?

What I mean is this.  I am a Gen Xer and Gen Xers are different. 

Compared to generations before us; we have different ideals, acceptances, and expectations.  We value different things, we accept the evolving world, and we expect to achieve greatness.  We have been told that if we work hard, we can accomplish anything (and everything) we want.  But, is this always true?

Everyone has their own version of a checklist.  You know the one I am talking about.
This is what mine looks like-


1. Graduate from high school (check)
 

 2. Graduate from college (check)


3. For a lot of us, go to and graduate from graduate school (check)

 4. Get married (check)



5. Buy a house (check)



6. Have a kid(s) (check)




7. Find and work in a fulfilling job, where I feel I make a difference, and I am valued as a employee
(anyone else still looking for that check????)


I have worked hard.  Really hard.  And I continue to work hard.  So... why do I not have everything I want.  Am. I. Failing?

I want a job where I feel valued, appreciated, accepted, understood, and respected.  But time and time again, I feel an emptiness in my work life.  My personal life is so full and wonderful and everything I have ever wanted.  But, my work life leaves much to be desired. 

I have changed careers once.  I even earned a Master's degree to help me do it. 

And so I have been wondering- is it me?  Is it where I work?  Is it what I do?  What is IT?

So this brings me back to my original question, did my parents set me up to fail?  To constantly be looking for that next bigger, brighter thing?  

To answer my own question, NO, I don't think my parents set me up to fail.

I think I am just going to have to continue to look for the best thing in my professional life and not drop or lower my expectations.  I have several friends from graduate school that absolutely love where they work.  I know, with time (and patience), I can find that too.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post! I feel just like you. #1-#6, check, #7 not so much. I always feel like I need a better job but then I remember how flexible my boss is with my schedule when it comes to the kids and I realized that it is more important right now than my ultimate dream job! Don't worry, pretty soon you will be like #7- check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need a professional challenge.

    ReplyDelete