Thursday, April 17, 2014

Throwback Thursday Stories


Throwback Thursday Stories


Today I am linking up with Jessica at themomcreative for her first ever, Throwback Thursday Stories.

Tons of people post Throwback Thursday Pictures, but most of the time leave out the stories that go with it.

Jessica is challenging up to post the picture and the story that comes with it.  I thought this would be fun and I knew exactly which holiday I wanted to choose from.

4th of July, 2006

My Grandmother lives in Texas and owns a house on a lake.  As kids, my cousins and I always spent the 4th of July with all of our family out at the lake.  We would swim, ride in the boat, get pulled behind the boat on the yellow whale, and eat a lot of hamburgers and hotdogs.  At night, there was an unspoken lake competition of fireworks displays.  Each family would set off fireworks from their docks and send them out over the lake.  It has always been one of my favorite times of the year.

Now that all the grandchildren are grown up (there are six of us) and we live in four different states, it is much harder to get together.  I definitely miss all the holidays where my whole family is together.  My childhood and early 20s are full of great memories from the lake house (and now I get to enjoy bringing my family there).

But, one of the other things we do (besides go to the lake house) is go to Joe T Garcia's in Fort Worth.  Every time we visit Texas, the whole family gets together and heads over to Fort Worth to eat some of the best Mexican food you have ever had.  Joe T's is a place I have been going to for over 30 years and the memories of eating there are just as vivid as fishing off the dock.

The picture above is from the weekend of the 4th of July in 2006.

From left to right: My cousin Jennifer, my cousin Jayme, my brother Andy, my cousin Jessica, me, and our Grandmother.  

We enjoyed lunch outside (it must not have been 100 degrees that day) at Joe T's.  Now I don't remember what we talked about, what the temperature was, or if I was completely sunburned; but I know that we had a great time eating lunch together.  Joe T's is always a good time and I look forward to going back again this summer.

Happy Throwback Thursday.  You can link up here:The Mom Creative

No comments:

Post a Comment