Sunday, June 22, 2014

Change





The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.
- Alan Watts



I am in a season of change.  Big changes.  Really big changes

I have come to believe that we go through seasons of change.  Everyone goes through these seasons at different times, and some people skip a season or two.  But, everyone goes through seasons of change.  Whether moving, going away to school, starting a new job, leaving a job, dating, breaking up, starting a family, losing a family member, beginning a new hobby, or saying goodbye to an old past time; everyone experiences some season of change.

But let me back up a bit.

I don't like change.  Like really, really don't like change.
I struggle with it.
I think about it (a lot).
I mull it over some more.
And then eventually (after a lot of time) I realize that the change was for the best.

But I still don't like change.

Friday was my last day at my job.  I have worked at George Washington Middle School for the last four years, teaching 7th and 8th grade PE and Health.  Before that I taught elementary physical education in Washington, DC. 

I am going through a BIG change.  I am leaving my job and I will be staying home with Elizabeth.

I am going through another BIG change.  I am six months pregnant and will be having my second daughter in the fall.

This is huge for me.  I never, ever thought of myself as a stay-at-home mom. 
I always pictured myself working.  Always.

But as I think about all the changes I am going through, it occurs to me, that we are in a season of change.  Not just me.

We will become a one-income family.
We will become a family of four.
We will be going through the seasons of change together.

And as I begin to think about it, and mull it over, and ponder some more; I realize that being a we in this season of change is the best thing about being in the season of change.

Change is not easy for me.  It never will be.  But I am not going at it alone.  I have a wonderful partner in my husband, a hilarious daughter in Elizabeth, and a whole world of excitement coming with our second child.

Change is not easy.  But I don't have to do it alone.



God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
- Reinhold Niebuhr


No comments:

Post a Comment