Saturday, June 28, 2014

How to fly with a 2-year-old

We travel a lot with Elizabeth, but traveling by plane is a whole different experience than traveling by car.

In the car, she can scream/yell/make as much noise as she wants and the only people the bothers are Ben and I.

Traveling by plane, she can run through the airport, you have restrictions on food/beverages, you must stay in a confined space on the plane for long periods of time, diapers or potty training can play a role, and traveling during meals or nap times proves to be problematic. 

And let's not forget, getting everything you could ever need (for any situation) into a bag that fits under your seat.

I have come up with a few things that I think are super important to have when traveling by plane with a 2-year-old.

1. Entertainment: Since space is limited, something like a portable DVD player or I-Pad will work great for long flights.  We bought this portable DVD player on Amazon.



2. Snacks: Foods that will be filling and can go through airport security AND fit into small spaces.  I love the Gerber graduates because they are a little bit bigger than other squeeze snacks and they are more filling.  If I think 2 is enough, I always pack one more.


3. Favorite things/ Entertainment: Elizabeth loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  So... I found some DVDs of it at Target and she watched them on her portable DVD player.  I also packed her small Minnie Mouse to hold while watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the plane.



4. More snacks: No matter what you plan for, it will probably not go according to plan.  If you think your flight will take two hours, it might take four or five.  I always fill these snack cups up with Cheerios or goldfish for a little something extra.  Elizabeth enjoys munching from her snack cup while watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.



5. Necessities: I always pack an extra pair of clothes for Elizabeth and several diapers (or now pull-ups).  I also pack baby wipes, sanitizing wipes, and little trash bags.  In my bag I also have hand sanitizer, extra pacifiers, extra hair ties, and a sippee cup.  Now that she is older, I also include my kindle and my I-pod in case I get a chance to enjoy them. 

6. Extras: We flew Elizabeth in her car seat (we made sure it fit all the regulations before just walking onto the plane).  It was a pain to drag through the airport, but for a three hour flight, it was the perfect way to keep her in her seat.  I recommend taking a car seat if you can, especially if your kid does not like to sit.

Those are some things I have come up with.  I am sure many people have other suggestions.  I am always looking for new ideas, so please leave a comment below.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment