Monday, June 30, 2014

Date Nights (and why I think they are important)

I believe in date nights.
 
I especially believe in taking the time to talk to your spouse one-on-one.
 
It is so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day activities of being a family (cooking, cleaning, laundry, feeding kids, bathing kids, grocery shopping, etc.) that it is easy to put your relationship on the back burner. 
 
And because of the day-to-day activities (which are a part of life), it is vitally important to take the time to be with your spouse one-on-one.
 
Ben and I try to do a date night about once a month.  Sometimes we get lucky and go out twice a month and sometimes we get busy and miss a month.  But, at the end of the day, we try (and try) to get that one-on-one time that our relationships needs (and deserves). 
 
With that being said, Ben and I enjoyed a wonderful date night last night.
 
We went to dinner at Nagoya Japanese Restaurant and then went to see 22 Jump Street.
The food was delicious (and very filling) and the movie was non-stop laughter for two hours.
 
We talked about our trip, and Elizabeth, and our plans for the fall with the new baby.  We talked about the books we are reading, working out while on vacation, and whether we can shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July.  We talked and talked and thoroughly enjoyed a dinner that did not involve either one of us looking after a toddler. 
 
The movie we saw was hilarious.  Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are hilarious together and Ice Cube as their boss adds a special touch.  We laughed throughout the entire movie and even the credits were hilarious. 
 (I know I keep saying this movie is hilarious, but it really really is)
 
But in the end, the dinner and the movie don't matter. 
 
What matters is that Ben and I continue to spend time together (with and without kids). 
 
As a couple we continue to grow, enjoy, and change as our relationship grows and changes.  We aren't 26-year-olds dating long distance, we are 32-year-old parents that have additional responsibilities.  Our relationship has changed leaps and bounds from where it begun, but isn't that what being in a relationship is all about?  Finding someone to change and grow with.  Finding a partner that balances you out and helps you become a better version of yourself.  I have found that in Ben and I think God every.single.day. for him.
 
I am more in love with my husband than the day I married him and I thank God everyday for blessing me with this man.
 
Ben thank you for a great date night (and for all the days we have together). 
I love you.
 
Before dinner at Nagoya
 
 Hibachi shrimp, grilled veggies, and fried rice.
So good!!!

 Going to the movies
 


No comments:

Post a Comment