I totally relate to this, I'm sure I'm not the only one ;)
I am a notorious over-packer according to my family and close friends that have traveled with me. However, all of these people have also asked me for things while traveling with me, so I say Ha ha! to them. I don't consider myself an over-packer, I consider myself someone that "wants to be prepared for every single possible weather/delay/traffic/surprise possible while traveling". I also am at a point in my life that I will not enjoy my traveling if I am not comfortable, so I take extra steps to be comfortable and have the things I need/want with me while I travel.
So, here are my tips and tricks for air travel (without kids):
1. Make a list and check the weather. I make a list for everything that I am going to need/think I am going to need/ and going to use while I am on my trip. I am a super organized/type A person and I do best when I am packing from a list. If you need some tips for creating lists, I recommend checking Pinterest. Check the weather to help in making your list. If it's going to rain, you will need an umbrella. :)
2. Take your time. I try not to rush when packing my suitcase. In every single instance where I was rushed, I either forgot something to take or left something on the trip. Take your time. Check your list. I like to put everything on the bed, check it off my list, and then put everything into my suitcase once I have everything out that needs to be packed.
3. Bring your favorite things. I like a specific shampoo, deodorant, contact solution, face wash, etc. This goes back to being comfortable while traveling. I bring travel size of my favorite toiletries so that I am comfortable and refreshed while traveling.
I use Clinique and you can pick up their travel sized products anywhere you buy Clinique.
All my travel hair products I grabbed at Ulta.
I keep the shampoo and conditioner bottles and refill them with my larger Redken products.
And I love Bath and Body Works lotion and body wash.
You can grab these in store or online.
Again, I can refill them with my larger BBW products.
All of these products are 3 ounces or smaller, so you can carry them on the flight
(or check them in a checked bag and they take up less space)
4. Bring before-flight/in-flight entertainment. I load up my kindle with several new books, pack a deck of cards, add some new games to my phone, and even grab a paper copy of Sudoku games and a pen (just in case all technology breaks down). I make sure all my phones, tablets, and electronic devices are fully charged before heading to the airport. I keep my chargers in my carry-on so that I can charge any of my electronics while waiting at the airport or on the plane. I also bring a pashmina to stay warm on the plane. Depending on the time of day; I also pack an eye mask, ear plugs, and a neck pillow to help me sleep on the plane.
5. Bring all the snacks. You never know when a flight is going to get delayed, postponed, cancelled, or anything else. I always buy a bottle of water at the airport but bring snacks with me (so I don't pay $4 for a candy bar). I always like chocolate and peanut butter so my snacks tend to be heavy in those.
The movie theater style candy boxes are good for traveling.
I also pack some crystal light packets to add some flavor to my water. :)
And while you can't drink your mini bottles on the plane,
you can use them as your 3 ounce liquid carry-on to enjoy on your trip later. :)
6. Miscellaneous things you might need during your trip. Sorry, I couldn't really come up with a better title. I pack baggies, plastic bags, a reusable grocery bag for trash, dirty items, holding small items, and anything else I can't think of. I also pack a GPS if I am going to be driving. Other miscellaneous items: sunscreen, bug spray, extra sunglasses, band-aids, etc.
I hope some of these tips and tricks help you prepare for a trip you take.
Happy Wednesday y'all!