Monday, March 20, 2017

Workin' it Wednesday: Balancing work and home life

Today I am linking up with Shay and Erika for Workin' it Wednesday: Balancing work and home life.


I've been a stay-at-home-mom for two and a half years and it took me over a year to get into a good routine.  Since I don't go to work anymore, I consider my "work" the housework I do around the house.  I really struggled with playing with the kids (entertaining a two-year-old while taking care of a newborn), making meals, and cleaning the house while Caroline was little.

I am a neat freak and I love organization.  Our house always stayed pretty clean when I had a regular job because no one was home during the day to get it dirty.  Now, three of us are home a lot during the day and Ben works from home a few days a week.  So I had to come up with a new plan to keep us organized and mostly clean.  :)

In January of 2016 I came up with a house cleaning plan to help us stay clean and organized.  I was getting so stressed when laundry wasn't done or the living room needed dusted that I had to change the way I worked.

Here is my cleaning plan:

Monday- I do laundry.
Tuesday- I clean the main floor (we live in a four-story-townhouse) and the basement.  I vacuum, dust, mop, and clean the half bathroom on the main floor.
Wednesday- I clean the master suite- vacuum, dust, an clean the master bathroom
Thursday- I clean the top floor- vacuum, dust, and clean the girl's bathroom
Friday- I do laundry.

I try try try to only do the "work" assigned to it's given day.  When we travel I usually have to switch a few things around, but otherwise I try to let it go. :)  I have learned that letting it go (thank you Frozen) really helps with my stress.

I also try to do my work while Caroline is napping and Elizabeth is having rest time.  It takes me about 30-45 minutes to clean each level.   After I am done working, I can focus entirely on playing with the girls, art projects with Elizabeth, or baking/cooking with Elizabeth. 

The girls usually play together in their playroom while I am working on dinner or come up and watch one TV show while I am cooking.

I try to incorporate them into as many activities as I can.  It makes me feel less guilty about having to get something done AND it is teaching them how to cook/clean/bake/etc.

Oh-my last tip- I serve breakfast on paper plates.  Once they are done eating, I just toss the plates in the garbage can and my kitchen is still clean.  I know this seems a little funny, but it really helps me keep the kitchen clean and organized for the day.

Happy Monday y'all!


1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of your house cleaning routine. We live in a split level hours, so there are four levels, but only a few rooms on each level. I've been thinking about doing a floor a day so then I don't have to spend hours cleaning on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete