Wednesday, February 14, 2018

How I do Wednesdays: How I take care of myself

I am linking up with Erika and Shay for their series... How I do Wednesdays.  The second Wednesday of every month they discuss a different topic and this month is How I take care of myself.  

I think this topic is important because so many moms don't take care of themselves because they are too busy taking care of everyone else.  Now, I know that not everyone that reads my blog is a mom, but I said mom, because I am a young mom and this is the phase of life I am in right now.  I believe taking care of yourself is IMPORTANT no matter your age, role in life, job, income, family dynamic, or anything else.  

If you don't take care of yourself, you will not be able to take care of others.

So... how do I take care of myself?

#1. I workout 4 - 5 days/week.
The number one thing I do for my PHYSICAL and MENTAL health is working out regularly.
When I go too many days between running, a cardio class, lifting weights, or even walking through the neighborhood; I can tell and more importantly my husband can tell.
I am cranky, irritated, anxious, stressed, less toned, sleeping horribly, and I'm sure twenty other things.  So yes, the most important thing I do to take care of myself is work-out.
I want to encourage all of you to work-out.
Start small if you don't currently work-out.
Park your car the end of the parking lot.
Don't take the elevator.
Sign up for an exercise class (buy a Groupon).
Find a friend to work-out with.
Do anything to get moving more.
Not sure how much you move?  Buy a step counter- a Garmin, an apple watch, a Fitbit and start counting your steps.  If you don't hit at least 10,000 every day, you need to move more!

 Clarendon Day Race



#2. I pamper myself.
I try to get a pedicure every 3 weeks.  
Sometimes is longer, sometimes it's less.
I run a lot (for the above mentioned workouts) and taking care of my feet will help me stay healthy enough to continue running long distances.  
Plus, a pedicure is relaxing, feels nice, and my toes look great after :)
 I will also get a massage a few times a year.  I carry stress in my shoulders and upper back (hence my bad posture) and a good Swedish massage with trigger points relaxes me instantly.



#3. I gave up Diet Coke.
 I was drinking 2-3 cans a day on average and I gave it up cold turkey after Thanksgiving.
I have slipped here and there and I think I have had 3 since then (on days I was really, really tired) but 3 diet cokes in the last 2 1/2 months is pretty good.
No one is perfect (I'm certainly not) but working towards a healthy goal is an important way to take care of yourself.
Once I gave up Diet Coke, I had less stomach issues, less anxiety, I slept better, I stopped craving candy, and my skin became more clear.




#4. I make time for fun
My husband laughs at me because I schedule "fun  activity time" but if I didn't do this then we would never go do the activities or just relax and have fun.
Our Friday nights are almost always a family pizza/movie night.
I got the idea from my friend, Vicki.  She mentioned that her daughters snuggle up in front of the TV on Friday nights and they pick a new movie to watch each week.
I thought this was the perfect way to de-stress after a long week and a relaxing way to go into the weekend.  Again, some Fridays we have plans and this can't be helped, but we really try to make that family time to relax and hang out.
 The other way I "schedule" fun is by making seasonal bucket lists of things the girls (or adults) want to do over summer/fall/winter/etc.  We compile a list of activities/trips/food/etc that we want to do and that helps us make sure it gets put on the calendar.

 Winter Fest at Six Flags 

Zoo Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment