Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Show and Tell Tuesday: The struggle is real

Today I am linking up with Andrea for her Show and Tell Tuesday.  Today's topic is about struggles.

Everyone has something that they struggle with and no one can truly know what someone else is dealing with in their life.

I completely agree with the idea that social media makes life "look great all the time".  And for those that are struggling with depression, loneliness, anxiety, and other insecurities; checking Facebook, Instagram, and blogs can become a daily dose of "her life is better than mine".

I too am guilty of checking out home improvement projects, birthday parties, and vacations of my friends and assuming that the people in the pictures are having the time of their life, nothing is wrong, and they have everything going for them.  But, a picture only shows you what the person displaying it wants you to see.

Everyone has struggles.
Some people share them.
Some people don't.

So today, I wanted to take a minute to share some things I struggle with.  Some of these are serious and some of these are not. Also, these are in no particular order.  :)


1. Dinner.  I despise cooking dinner.  I tell Ben that if we ever won the lottery, I would totally hire a personal chef.  I like variety in my food, but I can't stand to come up with new recipe ideas.  I would go out to eat every night if I could afford to, just so I don't have to cook.  I truly struggle with coming up with meals and preparing them every night.  Sometimes I try to make them fun for us and/or the kids which helps me try new things.  Monthly meal planning is the best plan I have come up with to prevent my struggle/rut.  But I haven't made a monthly meal plan in forever and so I continue to struggle. :(

Here are some "fun" dinners from the past:

 Fondue dinner

 Breakfast for dinner (with smiley faces)

 Picnic dinner

Themed dinners for holidays

2. Friends.  Making friends and keeping friends.  I know as adults we are all busy and it is hard to make new friends, but I really wish it were easier.  I love a good girls night, venting to my girlfriends about stuff (making dinner), sharing tips about kids, borrowing clothes, and enjoying wine.  I have a couple of very close friends but they don't live anywhere near me and so I often feel lonely and sad that I am missing out on "doing life" with them and their families.  Does anyone else struggle with living in a place they are not from and making new friends?

Not only is hard to make new friends, but having the time and energy to maintain friendships as I get older.  Between swim lessons, sports teams, traveling, taking care of a toddler, school, Ben's job, and household obligations I am just plain tired at the end of the day.  It is struggle to change out of comfy clothes, turn off Netflix, and go out for an evening.  But... I always come back refreshed and happy that I met up with friends for a few hours.


3. Anxiety.  I have anxiety.  It's a daily struggle.  My anxiety goes through the roof when Ben travels, when stressful situations arise, and when I don't workout.  Working out helps me decrease my anxiety so I try to workout several days a week. My anxiety has gotten worse as I have gotten older and I work hard to maintain a balance so that my anxiety does not take over.  Talking to a friend, working out, going out and walking around the neighborhood, or changing the activity I am doing always help me deal with my anxiety. 


Happy Tuesday y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment