Monday, September 8, 2014

Packing for the hospital: Part One

Baby sister will be here soon (18 days or less)!  We are getting very excited and finishing our last minute preparations (washing baby clothes, boiling bottles, etc.) and beginning to pack for the hospital.

Now, if you know me well (or have ever traveled with me) you know that I don't always pack "light".

(At this point in my post I am sure at least three people are laughing- Ben, my Mom, and Stacy)

Anyway- I started packing for the hospital this afternoon and started with the basics.  From my last experience at staying in a hospital over night (having Elizabeth) I have developed a list of the absolute necessities.  These are items you will need whether you have a natural delivery and get to go home in 24 hours or have a c-section and stay for three days.  I have also found that the basics tend to be the most comforting.

For me, the basics are toiletries.  Yes, your hospital may provide you with them- but I really like using the brands that I use on a daily basis.  I think it is worth the few extra dollars to find travel size toiletries of your favorite brands.

1. Shower supplies
Shampoo, Conditioner, Body wash, and a razor are absolute musts for me.  I picked up the travel size shower poof and shampoo and conditioner at target for 97 cents each.  The other products I already had.


2. Teeth/ Feeling fresh
If you have a scheduled c-section or induction, you are not allowed to eat.  The travel toothpaste and toothbrush along with travel mouthwash really help you feel fresh since you can't eat or drink anything.  Also- having a baby is a hot, sweaty process and having my favorite antiperspirant around helps me feel clean and fresh.  The travel toothbrush/toothpaste was 97 cents at target and the other products I already had.
  

3. Personalized toiletries
What I mean by this is something you use that your husband may not be able to pick up at CVS in the middle of the night.  I wash my face with Clinique products, so I have the 3-step skin care in travel size.  My favorite scent is vanilla and I always carry a travel size vanilla sugar from Bath & Body Works.  I also wear contacts, so having a travel size contact solution and case is a must!


4. Extras
I use cotton balls and q-tips with my clinique products, so I always pack some in a little bag.  I also pack a nail file (not pictured).
 

When all is said and done, I like having super easy access to my toiletries and I find that a hanging bag works best (most bathrooms have hooks on the back of the door).  I put all of my toiletries in easy-to-reach compartments and then everything is in one place.  This bag is from Vera Bradley and I absolutely love it!  I use it for all of my travel toiletry needs.


It even folds up super small!


Some additional items I will pack on our way out the door would be my hairbrush and hair dryer and some extra hair ties.  I have a very cheap pair of flip flops from target that I will pack for the shower (and then throw away before I leave the hospital).


Tomorrow I will have a post about the other things you might want to consider bringing to the hospital.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment