Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving menu (without breaking the bank)

I am so excited for Thanksgiving!

We are staying here this year and my cousins are coming over for lunch/dinner.
In the 5 years we have all lived here, we have never spent Thanksgiving together and I am so thankful we get to this year.

When planning our menu I wanted to make sure I made a few sides that everyone would like and if someone didn't like one, then they still had plenty to choose from.

Here is our Thanksgiving menu:

Turkey*
Mash Potatoes
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Macaroni and Cheese (for everyone as Ben has informed me)  :)
Stuffing (or dressing, depending where you are from)+
Rolls
Salad*
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Pudding Pie
Pumpkin dessert*

*Items our cousins are bringing

+Forgot in my original post.
+Additionally, I received some e-mails regarding the turkey.  I normally would purchase a turkey for $0.99/pound so I would have spent about $14 on a turkey (which would bring my total to $46.50 for the meal).  However, my cousins insisted on bringing the turkey from a special place they order from every year and who am I to argue with free turkey.  :)

When planning our dinner I wanted to stay under a budget of $50.  I check the ads for a few weeks and finally decided on buying everything at Target last week when they had a deal for spend $50 and get back a $10 gift card. Below are all the items I need this week to make our Thanksgiving dinner for 4 adults and 3 kids.




My Target shopping:
(1) Bag of sweet potatoes- $2.99
(1) Bag of potatoes- $1.99
(1) Bag of celery- $1.79
(1) large onion- $1.12
(2) Cans of swanson chicken broth-  $0.56 each
(2) containers French's fried onions- $2.36 each
(1) Bag of Pepperidge stuffing- $2.36
(1) McCormick seasoning (ground ginger) - $1.78
(2) Cans of Carnation sweetened condensed milk - $0.90 each
(1) Bag of Diamond almonds- $3.94
(1) Can of Libby's pumpkin- $1.52
(1) Can of Reddy Whip- $1.89
(1) 2-pack Pillsbury frozen pie shells- $2.00
(1) 2-pack Reynolds disposable pans- $3.49

 Total for items for Thanksgiving, $32.51

*I had to spend $50 BEFORE coupons to get the $10 gift card so I also picked up other food items for our weekly use like cheese, milk, yogurt, etc. 

Original total: $75.41
Total spent: $47.42 and I got back at $10 gift card

Items I already had and will be using for Thanksgiving:
Milk
Butter
Chocolate pudding
Chocolate chips
Mini Marshmellows
Chocolate pie crust
(2) Boxes of Mac N Cheese
Crescent rolls (in case I run out of time to make rolls)
Green Beans
Cream of mushroom soup

To save at target don't forget that you can combine coupons 
and the Target cartwheel AND the Target coupons.

Happy Tuesday (and happy savings)!

No comments:

Post a Comment